Sustainable business - Ruinemans Aquarium BV
Through our product :
- We comply with the regulations of CITES
- We do not trade in genetically engineered fish
- We do not manipulate in color other than through fish feed
- We respect wild seasons- when buying wild-caught fish from designated areas. This way we support the local economy and therefore prevent locals from cutting down trees ("Buy a fish, save a tree")
- We encourage the breeding of several popular wild ornamental fish, where possible locally to keep the transport needs as short as possible.
- We conduct research into various fish diseases and combat this with as little use of antibiotics as possible. What we use is registered by the vet under the supervision of the NVWA.
Through our business :
- We extract heat from wastewater using buffers and a heat pump
- In the summer cool our building through the water needed for next day's use with water changes of our tropical fish.
- Our set of 416 solar panels produces 100.000 kWh per year
- Our freezing storage uses state of the art CO2 technology hence ready for 2021 regulations and saving up to 30% energy compared to traditional technology.
- The heat generated by the freezing system is re-used for heating water for use with the tropical fish.
- Our order processing takes place virtually paperless
- Our plastic and cardboard waste is collected and processed separately.
- Our plastic bags are made from bio-based material such as maize and biodegradable.
- Our polystyrene boxes are taken back for free and reused
- Our fleet is on average no more than 3 years old so the latest technology and fuel efficiency is applied.